MOBILE?
Join! | Sign In home 
Johnstone History Museum
A Project of Johnstone History Society
JHM Web Log

February 2018


New Historic Research Feature
We've added a new feature we hope will interest our readers and those members with a desire to share their knowledge and research. The new Research Articles feature will enable writers to submit their scholarly work to the JHS website.

Articles will be reviewed by the editorial committee and if approved may be subject to editing for style or content. When fully implemented, each article will also have a download option to facilitate printing by the reader. Each article will be copyrighted by the Society and the author, so careful attention to annotations and bibliography should be given by authors.

More information about submitting articles will be provided as the project develops. For now, we've collected some previous content that provides a look at how the content will be presented. Please follow the link below this article for a preview.

PS: The working title, "Johnstone History Review" is rather boring. Suggestions for a more attractive name for this new features are welcome. (Please don't submit "History McHistoryface.")

Preview the Articles feature


November 2017


2018 Calendar Now on Sale
Our new 2018 Calendar is now on sale in the Museum and in our WEB SHOP. Posted to you anywhere in the world

A4 size 12 Johnstone Pictures and 12 months of Calendar pages for to write your appointments on.

Place your order with us and we will send the Calendar for you to your friends and family.

Get Your Copy!


October 2017


Mouse Traps Required; Made in Johnstone
🐁 Iain Murray writes: Johnstone History Museum has recently been contacted by a David Drummond who has written a historical account of the Mouse Trap Factory in South William Street (1896-1960). David is going to send photographs and information about the factory. It would be great if we could set up a little display of the Mouse and Rat traps that were produced in Johnstone. Some of you must have some laying about at the back of a cupboard. All we have at the moment is a little display trap used for advertising.

Johnstone History Society October Talk
Tuesday 10th October. 7.30pm Masonic Hall Collier Street Johnstone

Colin Mackie presents The Southern Necropolis

The Southern Necropolis cemetery is a unique historical and educational asset for present and future generations to come and contains over a quarter of a million burials of individuals who have either helped build or been an important part of the rich legacy of Glasgow`s past.

Members expected. All visitors made most welcome

September 2017


WW1 Role of Honour List
We haqve recently updated our World War 1 Role of Honour list that you will find under the Categories section of our Web Log list. Should you so wish, we can now add your information to the names. If you wish to add information please use the contact section of the Web Site to submit information you wish to include.

Read the article


Reminiscences of Wickman Lang by Eddie McRorie
Skilled trades workers were a major factor in the development of Johnstone's reputation as a center of innovation in the 19th and 20th Centuries. Eddie McRorie has described his experiences working in the machine tool industry in the 1970s; excerpts follow, click here for the full story.


"This is the story of my work as a time served engineering fitter at Wickman Lang, Mary Street, Johnstone from 1971 till 1979 when the factory was closed.

I had served my apprenticeship with Thomas White and Sons woodworking machine tool makers in Paisley and saw an advert for fitters in Wickman Lang as  in 1971 they were expanding and paid the highest wages in the area. The hourly rate at Thomas White was 11/6 pence and in Langs 15/3 pence so an enormous increase in wages and no more buses to work in Paisley. I also stayed in Johnstone castle so the move made sense all round.

I was interviewed by Jim Gibson the senior fitting foreman and told they would let me know. I waited six weeks before my mother told me a Mr Gibson had phoned and I was to call him. It appears that due to a postal strike a letter offering me employment had not been delivered.

...It was skilled work to fine tolerances which when completed had to be passed by the inspector who all wore brown dust-coats and were very strict as anything not exact was returned to you for sorting.

We all worked in a long line at benches running up the length of the fitting bay with steel vices spread along the bench to hold the workpieces.

As you worked you chatted and joked with all around you. Most of the worlds problems were discussed and solved especially at a teabreak when eight or nine would sit on boxes, benches and gossip, argue about football etc. 

...To break the monotony you would go to the toilet several times a day with a different newspaper stuffed inside your boilersuit each time, you had to keep up with the news ha  ha. Everybody bought a different newspaper and they were shared around. Another ploy was to have an assembly drawing in your hand and go for a wander to see who you could blether to and the gaffer thought you were working as you had a drawing. I had a small circle of men I had a blether with throughout the works from storemen,drillers,turners all who became good friends.

The toilets as you would imagine were large and always busy and a lot of extraneous business was conducted there and you could even get your haircut as one of our labourers had trained as a barber and did a roaring trade.

When the Derby race at Epsom was on the radio the toilet would be packed with men listening to various transistor radios ha ha.

There was a works bookie runner who took your bets and passed them to a local bookmaker (the bookmaker used was in Laighcartside street and is the house Penney the dentist now occupies) 

...The boiler suits were part of a scheme whereas for a weekly charge you got three boiler suits with one washed every week in rotation ensuring a clean one on a Monday morning.

...The works canteen was very popular as it was both good and heavily subsidised by the company so it is no surprise that it was always very very busy. Getting to the top of the queue became an art form with all sorts of tricks being used to get out of the factory first and cross over the cobbled road to the canteen building as soon as the dinner hooter went off.

...The works were full of characters funny,sad, idiots,complete nut cases (I joke not) but it gave a variety of situations to entertain us and gossip about. One of the fork lift drivers was always crabbit in the morning but always cheery by the afternoon as he had drunk a quarter bottle of whiskey by then.

...There was an electric oven for heating up cylindrical bushes so as the metal bushes expanded with heat and were then fitted over a shaft and when cooled were immovable. However this oven was used constantly for heating Wisharts pies and sausage rolls. 

...the job now needed me to think a lot more instead of following drawings on a well tried build program as there were errors in drawing calculations and machining some components. This meant our team had to come up with answers to many problems during the build and I was now involved with more of our technical personnel which I found interesting. 

...(the manager) had been developing an Index chuck as there were many factories across the world who had employees put a component into a chuck then complete an operation before having to stop the revolving chuck take out the component and turn it round and put it back in the chuck and repeat the same operation. Donald's idea was a chuck which you didn't stop but was able to revolve the component up to four times without stopping the chuck. This would result in major time saving and revolutionise chucking."


Click here for the full article. See also the related gallery linked below.



Johnstone History Society welcomes submissions of personal, professional and company histories. Use the Contact form to suggest a topic or submit an article for evaluation by the editors.

John Lang & Sons Gallery


History Society Talks
The new session of Historical Talks starts in the Masonic Hall in Collier Street Johnstone at 7.30pm on Tuesday 12th September 2017 See details in the Calendar. All visitors welcome

August 2017


Doors Open Days Sat 2nd Sept & Sun 3rd Sept
The Museum is taking part of Renfrewshire Doors Open Days
New displays of Johnstone Organisations, past & present have been arranged. The Museum will be open on Saturday 2nd Sept & Sunday 3rd Sept from 1030am till 4pm
Doors Open Passports signed and a childrens quiz included
As with last year there will be a Historic Johnstone Walk leaving the Museum at 2pm Should last about 1 hour weather permitting.

July 2017


John Lang & Sons a brief overview by Jessica Reid
The Lang organisation started as a private family partnership and progressed into a limited company around 1916. John Lang and Sons specialised in designing and producing lathes. Although they mainly and successfully produced lathes. The company also produced tools and machine parts such as gears.

Read the Article


Johnstone Grand Industrial Exibition 1853
The Great Industrial Exhibition, organised by the Johnstone Mechanics' Institiution took place in 1853 in a building behind McDowall Street in Johnstone. It showcased over a thousand items in four classes, Machinery; Manufactured Goods; The Fine Arts and Curiosities. This article, published in Jan 15 1853, was written by the Paisley correspondent of the "Glasgow Citazen.

Read this


The Johnstone Fair (1875) courtesy of Iain Reynolds
Iain Reynolds of Johnstone has kindly provided us with an interesting insight into the importance of the Fair to all of the Town's citizens.

Read the Letter


Museum Update
As you may be aware, a willing team of Volunteers staff the Museum. With the Holiday season in full swing, the team are all arranging their holidays and this calls for a few rearrangements in the Rota system. But, we are a flexible lot and there is no sign that we will have any difficulty filling the slots. Thanks to all the Team for the great work they do to keep the operation on the road.

Use this link or call the museum to volunteer.

Volunteer (Contact us)


June 2017


Rod MacDuff Traces Johnstone Roots VIDEO
Rod MacDuff has posted a personal documentary of sites in Johnstone related to his ancestors. (Re-posted from Facebook and Youtube; thanks to Jim McLaughlin for doing most of the homework for us.)




PS: If you have a Johnstone history video on line that is publicly accessible, we may be able to embed it in this fashion. Please coordinate through the museum.

May 2017


Johnstone History Society May Talk
We had a great talk from Alexander Hall on the Malta Convoy that rescued the Island from imminent surrender to the German and Italian forces.

We had a packed house to hear the Story of Operation Pedestal in August 1942, that concluded with only 4 merchant sips and the Tanker Ohio reaching Valetta Harbour. Huge loss of life to deliver the precious cargo.

The courage of the Maltese people led to the Island being awarded the George Cross.

April 2017


Johnstone History Society May Talk
May Monthly Meeting & Talk

The Relief of Malta
by Alexander Hall

Tuesday May 9th at 7.30 in the Masonic Hall Collier Street, Johnstone
Members Expected Visitors always Welcome

Note:- This is the last talk of this years session. We start again on Tuesday 12th September with our next winter Programme. Enjoy your Summer Holidays.

March 2017


Johnstone WWI Role of Honour
We've recently received a copy of the Johnstone Role of Honour from World War I. Watch the site for an expanded presentation. If you are a relative or friend of one of the persons listed, we plan to add a photograph and biography for as many as possible; details on that procedure will be announced soon on these pages.

This would be a good time register as a member of the website. If you are a regular member of the History Society, we will also be linking the two member lists, and an annoucement of that procedure is also forthcoming.

This list was compiled by the late John Kenny J.P. who was a Committee Member of the Johnstone History Society. It is reproduced here by kind permission of his widow Mrs Agnes Kenny.

AdamsJosephPteCheshire13/03/1916
AdamsAndrewPteRoyal Scots Fusiliersnd
AdamsonJohnPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
AffleckJohn200841PteSeaforth Highlandersnd
AllanJohn28742PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers11/06/1917
AllisonAllan22511A/CplKing’s Own Scottish Borderers09/04/1917
ArcherRobert419203PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders13/04/1915
ArmourJames201497PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)20/07/1916
ArmourWilliam252206PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders20/10/1918
ArnottJamesPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
BarrJohn418581PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders12/05/1915
BarrJohn H.L/6921A/CplRoyal Field Artillery24/10/1917
BarrWilliam335483PteRoyal Scots31/07/1917
BarrWilliam H.161601PteMachine Gun Corps30/09/1918
BeattieJohnnd
BennettWilliamPteInniskillin Fusiliers04/09/1915
BennettRobertPteBlack Watchnd
BlackwoodAlexanderPtend
BlairJoseph40910PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers23/04/1917
BoyceCharles4124SgtRoyal Scots Fusiliers11/11/1914
BoyleJames9723PteScots Guards16/09/1916
BradyEdward10601PteRoyal Irish Fusiliers12/04/1917
BrightJames616PteGordon Highlanders29/10/1914
BurnsGeorgeS/22335PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders11/12/1917
BurtonWalter3833PteWest Riding Regiment20/04/1915
ByersRobert J.38187PteRoyal Scots12/04/1917
CairnsSamuelS/18258PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders07/03/1918
CameronAlexander84631PteRoyal Army Medical Corps01/10/1917
CampbellJames9647PteQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders03/09/1916
CardieCharles251072LCplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders07/05/1917
CardieWilliamS/12560SgtQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders11/04/1917
CarlileWilliam3162PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders16/06/1915
CarlinJohn29354PteInniskillin Fusiliers24/07/1917
CavanaghThomas464LCplHighland Light Infantry15/09/1916
ClunasCharlesSPTS/1068LCplRoyal Fusiliers08/02/1916
CollinsSamuelOS*HMS Aboukir26/09/1914
CoyleAlbert33934PteRoyal Scots28/04/1917
CraigJamesS/24233PteSeaforth Highlanders28/07/1918
CraigJohn7250PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers02/08/1915
CrayThomas B.3921L/SgtArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders12/02/1915
CullenThomas35162CplHighland Light Infantry26/03/1918
DaleyWilliam21613PteRoyal Dublin Fusiliers21/11/1915
DalyJoseph A.8338PteLondon Regiment07/10/1916
DarlingAlexander76143PteNottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment25/01/1918
DavieRobert19027PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers09/10/1915
DeansAndrew4/8829PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders30/01/1917
DellAlfred J.51721CplRoyal Engineers31/08/1916
DevineJamesPteBlack Watch25/09/1915
DicksonJoseph5026PteHighland Light Infantry20/08/1916
DiversJohn7482PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)28/03/1918
DobieWilliam R.332191SgtHighland Light Infantry02/12/1917
DochertyRobert P.235119PteSeaforth Highlanders28/07/2016
DonnellyJohnLCplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders13/05/1917
DooleyDaniel245768PteManchester Regiment26/10/1917
DorrisThomasPteRoyal Irish Fusiliers02/09/1918
DowJames41103LieutSouth Lancashire Regiment04/01/1919
DownsFrancis E332083LCplHighland Light Infantry06/07/1918
DuncanDuncan FPtend
DuncanJames FPteSeaforth Highlanders22/04/1916
DunningPatrick17714PteLoyal North Lancashire Regiment28/04/1917
EasdonJames4/7988PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders09/01/1917
EdgarWilliam?Royal Fleet Auxilliary04/11/1918
ErskineHenry7271PteHighland Light Infantry19/12/1914
FergusonAndrew2064PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders01/01/1916
FergusonGeorgeS/5961PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders31/07/1917
FergusonDavid R.LtRoyal Engineersnd
FerrierArchibald34814PteYork and Lancaster Regiment08/06/1917
FindlayJoseph278842PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders09/04/1917
FisherHughT/341990DvrRoyal Army Service Corps11/11/1918
FloydJames26575PteRoyal Dublin Fusiliers08/06/1917
ForbesWilliam3847PteHighland Light Infantry25/09/1915
FraserWilliam5658LCplQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders58/9/1915
GemmellStewart A.CaptHighland Light Infantrynd
GibsonJohn T.S/22650PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders22/09/1918
GiffenH.PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
GillonJohn23/182PteDurham Light Infantry15/07/1916
GilmourAlexander M.29923PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers09/04/1917
GilmourEdward11168PteScots Guards18/05/1915
GowJamesPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders13/01/1915
GradyAnthony7687LCplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders15/10/1917
GradyJohn278509LCplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders10/09/1917
GrahamAndrew41002PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers03/05/1917
GrahamAndrewS/24473PteBlack Watch06/09/1918
GrahamDavid L.LtRAF24/06/1918
GrayThomas B.3921SgtArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders12/02/1915
GreenawayJames278613PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders23/04/1917
GroganJohn41596PteHighland Light Infantry01/04/1917
HaggartyPatrickPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
HamiltonAndrew7470PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers18/04/1915
HamiltonJames3508PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders16/06/1915
HannahThomas7361PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers04/06/1915
HannonHugh4954PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders06/09/1916
HarrisonJohnPteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
HassanJohn J17869PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers26/09/1915
HendersonRobert292329PteGordon Highlanders23/04/1917
HerbertsonWilliamLieutKing’s Own Scottish Borderers28/09/1915
HislopAlexander4480PteHighland Light Infantry14/03/1916
HollandJohnPteRoyal Irish Fusiliersnd
HoughtonPatrickS/21627PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders03/11/1918
HoustonJohn8139PteHighland Light Infantry01/10/1915
HoustonRobert GS/6483PteSeaforth Highlanders09/05/1915
HoustonStewart8285PteHighland Light Infantry02/10/1915
HowieGeorgend
HowieJoseph7945SgtSeaforth Highlandersnd
HowieRobert3046PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders16/06/1915
HowieWilliam1310PteHighland Light Infantry01/02/1916
HueyJohn250943CplArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
HunterRobert D.PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
HunterJohn F32229PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers31/07/1917
HunterThomas201186PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)20/07/1916
HusbandAlexanderG280PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)11/11/1914
HuttonWilliamS/5594PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders17/05/1918
HyndmanJosephKing’s Own Scottish Borderersnd
IrvineJames251903PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders02/02/1917
IrvineW.251903PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders02/02/1917
JaffreyWilliamCaptArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
JamiesonAlexanderPteInniskillin Fusiliers08/02/1916
JamiesonWilliamS/3509PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders10/07/1917
JenkinsGeorgeS/40590PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders23/11/1917
JenningsJamesPteRMLI03/06/1915
JohnstonHenry24731PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers10/05/1918
JohnstoneJamesABRND04/02/1917
KayWilliam10932PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers12/05/1916
KeithWilliam202642PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders23/07/1918
KennedyWilliamPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders23/04/2017
KennedyJoseph17002PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers01/07/1916
KennedyWilliamS/11964PteSeaforth Highlanders23/04/1917
KerrJamesPte19/05/1916
KerrDanielAustralian Imperial Force31/07/1915
KerrJohn332408PteHighland Light Infantry24/10/1918
KerrRobertS/2698PteGordon Highlanders03/03/1916
KerrWilliamS/22901PteBlack Watch01/10/1918
KerrThomasPteGordon Highlandersnd
LewisJames27508CplMachine Gun Corps05/12/1917
LiddellGraham D.LtRAF24/06/1918
LittleRobert M.S/2927PteSeaforth Highlanders04/10/1917
LoneyThomas9025A/CplSeaforth Highlandersnd
LoughranD.S/42810PteSeaforth Highlanders12/02/1919
LoveT.L/CArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
LovieEdward31623PteHighland Light Infantry18/11/1916
LyleJames14742PteHighland Light Infantry01/07/1916
MairsSamuelS/18559PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders22/04/1918
MarshallHecterS/43227PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders23/04/1917
MartinMalcolm4/7965PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders19/12/1915
MartinThomasPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
McAdamJohnS/5376PteSeaforth Highlanders09/05/1915
McArthurJames98856GunnerRoyal Garrison Artillery07/09/1918
McAulayDaniel5159PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders27/06/1919
McCabePteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders31/12/1918
McCaigAllanCanadian Expeditionary Force18/08/1917
McCaigJoseph33083SgtHighland Light Infantry15/07/1916
McCannDaniel14414PteHighland Light Infantry26/02/1919
McCaughanRobert5143PteConnaught Rangers07/12/1915
McCluskeyJohnPteBlack Watch15/09/1914
McCluskiePatrick18683PteHighland Light Infantry26/09/1915
McConnellWilliamPte23/05/1915
McCreathDavid141038PteMachine Gun Corps21/03/1918
McDougallLawrence12938PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers25/09/1915
McDougallNeil632611LCplLondon Regiment19/02/1918
McGachieThomasPteSeaforth Highlandersnd
McGaffinAndrewnd
McGheeHenry15699PteRoyal Scots06/08/1915
McGheeSgtArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders01/01/1915
McGinleyCharles414ACplGordon Highlanders20/02/1915
McGinleyEdward8309PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers12/01/1915
McGinleyJohnPteGordon Highlanders27/02/1915
McGinleyJohnPteRoyal Scottish Fusiliers01/01/1915
McGinleyJamesPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
McGinnJamesS/23342PteBlack Watch01/04/1918
McGladeHugh1530PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers17/08/1915
McGroryJamesPteArgyll and Sutherland Highlandersnd
McGuinnessJohn10403PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers24/10/1914
McIverRobert12652PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers02/07/1916
McKayAndrew1392PteRoyal Fusiliers07/05/1916
McKayJamesPte26/06/1915
McKechanAlexander93045DriverRoyal Engineers05/11/1918
McKendrickAlexander15350PteHighland Light Infantry14/07/1916
McKissockDavid67682PteHighland Light Infantrynd
McLauchlanCharles252112PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders24/11/1917
McLaughlanWilliam52288PteRoyal Scots27/01/1918
McLaughlinIsaacPteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
McLaughlinRichardL/CplGordon Highlanders28/09/1915
McLaughlinJohnB/9377PteHighland Light Infantry10/05/1917
McLeanPatrickS/5038PteBlack Watchnd
McLellanJohnS/19711PteGordon Highlanders23/03/1918
McLellandJohn16115PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers07/01/1915
McLellandAlexander8271CplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders19/09/1918
McLuskeyJohnS/3298PteSeaforth Highlanders08/09/1916
McMahonJamesS/20327PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders28/10/1918
McMillanJohn12399PteDorsetshire Regiment20/09/1916
McNeilAndrewS/8034PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders24/12/1917
McNeilWilliam42953LCplRoyal Scots10/04/1918
McQuadeWilliam4/9018PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders14/07/1916
McShaneBernard11719SgtHighland Light Infantry14/11/1914
McSwanNeilS/19311PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders07/08/1917
McWilliamsSamuelCameronians (Scottish Rifles)29/10/1916
MiddletonFrancis3PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders27/04/1917
MiddletonJohn J.13824PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers22/05/1916
MillerHughS/24044PteBlack Watch21/07/1918
MillerJames9742PteQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders25/09/1915
MillsJames23316PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers31/07/1916
MitchellPeterSeaforth Highlandersnd
MoodieRobert16854PteHighland Light Infantry27/08/1916
MoodyRobert235308PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)23/07/1918
MooneyHugh3933PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders21/08/1915
MorganCharless/20863ACplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders21/03/1918
MorningArchibald12006PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers04/03/1915
MorningWilliam12953PteHighland Light Infantry20/06/1915
MullanJamesPteGordon Highlanders26/09/1915
MullenAndrew18326PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers20/08/1916
MullenJames4/8080PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders16/09/1918
MurphyAndrew1838SgtArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders30/08/1916
MurphyJohn5812PteQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders24/10/1914
MurphyW.33719PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers14/02/1917
O'CallaghanBernard13231PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers16/08/1917
O'CallaghanBernard13231PteRoyal Irish Fusiliersnd
OatesThomasZ/6365OS*RNVR18/02/1919
PatersonRobertS/3262PteSeaforth Highlanders26/09/1915
PatersonWilliam395906Royal Dragoon Guards08/03/1919
QuinnWilliam11371SgtRoyal Scots Fusiliers26/09/1915
QuinnWilliam11371SgtRoyal Scots Fusiliers26/09/1915
ReidJamesPteGordon Highlandersnd
ReidJohn H.12974PteRoyal Scots25/09/1915
ReillyJames34910SgtNorth Staffordshire04/11/1918
RenwickWilliamS/6863LCplBlack Watch25/09/1915
RichardsonJamesMajorHighland Light Infantry24/08/1917
RichardsonWilliam330401SgtHighland Light Infantry01/10/1918
RobertsonNeil12777PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers19/07/1916
RockJohn23390Royal Irish Rifles12/11/1918
RooneyDanielS/11955Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders13/08/1916
RossWilliamM/303577PteArmy Service Corps06/07/1917
RussellAlexanderArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders01/05/1915
ScarffJohn15258LCplRoyal Scots Fusiliers26/09/1917
ScottMalcolmPte13/05/1915
ShanksGeorge19536PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers04/06/1916
ShawAlexanderS/41619PteGordon Highlanders26/10/1917
ShawJamesS/22501PteSeaforth Highlanders09/06/1917
SimpsonAlex E.PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
SinclairJohn9842PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers15/01/1917
SmileyDaniel16752PteRoyal Scots19/06/1915
SmithThomas24/07/1918
SomervilleAndrew3467PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders21/06/1915
SpeirsWalter8705PteRoyal Scots Fusiliers05/02/1915
SpenceHarry10473PteScots Guards15/09/1916
SpiersDavid4961LCplArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders16/10/1918
SteelAdam12937PteKing’s Own Scottish Borderers08/05/1917
StevensonHenryS/16532ACplQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders17/11/1917
StevensonJames1399PteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)17/12/1916
StewartJohn4225PteHighland Light Infantry17/04/1916
StewartDavidInniskillin Fusiliersnd
StruthersAllan3526Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders05/07/1916
ThomsonJamesPteCameronians (Scottish Rifles)nd
ToddJames W.S/8009PteQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders23/07/1916
TonnerPatrick34899PteRoyal Scots01/03/1918
TraversAndrewL/CplRoyal Scots Fusiliersnd
WallaceJohn C.3/5644LCplQueen's Own Cameron Highlanders19/02/1915
WardPteGordon Highlanders08/08/1915
WardlawArthur2/LtRACnd
WasonJames24413PteYorkshire Light Infantry27/03/1918
WatsonWilliam12450PteKing's Own Scottish Borderers25/09/1915
WhiteJames3548PteLondon Regiment14/10/1916
WilsonAlan C.LieutRoyal Scots28/04/1917
WilsonJohn4/6413PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders22/08/1917
WilsonThomasPteHighland Light Infantry01/07/1916
WilsonWilliam322773PteHighland Light Infantry09/04/1918
WinningWilliam3790PteRoyal Scots08/12/1917
WoodMatthewS/7477PteGordon Highlanders12/03/1915
YoungLeslie201296PteArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders08/11/1917
OS = Ordinary Seaman
The Johnstone History Society does not accept responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained in this list.

Download the list here


February 2017


January 2017


December 2016


November 2016


October 2016


September 2016


August 2016


June 2016


Fordbank House - Mansion & former Maternity Unit
Fordbank, a Brief Account of the House and its Occupants

by Bill Speirs

Fordbank House was built on the lands of Little Corseford, being part of the 40s land of Corseford.

Its genesis came about 1856-57, when James Richardson of Ralston, a wealthy sugar merchant in Glasgow acquired the estates of Caplaw and Hallhill on the extreme east of the parish of Lochwinnoch.

In January of 1858 he added the small farm of Little Corseford to his land holdings. In November of that year he feud a plot of these lands, 1 acre and 32 poles, to James Christie.

James Christie was employed as cashier to James Richardson & Co Merchants, Glasgow. Originally from Fife, he was resident at Hillhead in Glasgow in 1858, by 1859 he was living at Fordbank Villa.

By 1863 James had went into business own his own account, forming James Christie & Co. (Sugar Merchants) with offices in Virginia Street, Glasgow. The following year he was in partnership with an Edinburgh Merchant, James Bowe, trading as Bowe & Christie, Sugar Merchants, North Bridge Street, Edinburgh.

James Christie was not a success in business. In June of 1870 the stoppage was reported of Messrs James Christie & Co of Glasgow, in the sugar trade, with liabilities estimated at £8,000 to £10,000.

Fordbank House was put up for sale in November 1870 and went for £2,100

The new owner was William Blackburn Craig, a dry-salter and oil merchant in Glasgow. In the years 1870 to 1873 he was involved in erecting additions and alterations to his premises in St Vincent Street as well as the erection of new buildings. He may have overstretched his finances, by March 1873 Fordbank House was once again up for sale.

The Notice of Sale give a full description of Fordbank House at that time.
FOR SALE, FORDBANK HOUSE

3 Public Rooms, 5 Bedrooms, Bathroom, Pantry, Kitchen and Servants accommodation. There is a Byre, Stable, Coach House and other Outbuildings; also a Porters Lodge. The ground extends to about 10 acres enclosed.

The next owner and occupier was James Stewart, another Glasgow merchant, sometime foreign and colonial merchant. By 1885 the house and grounds were in possession of heritable creditors and the house was occupied by Henry David Crailsheim, as tenant

Henry David Crailsheim was born in Glasgow of a German father and a Belgian mother. He, his wife Maria and son Harry had only recently left Dunblane, their son Edward was born at Fordbank abt. 1888. The family were co-partners in the firm of Crailsheim & Herman, Foreign and Colonial Merchants, in Glasgow
By 1891 they had left Fordbank House and were resident in Lochridge House, Stewarton, Ayrshire.

Alexander Fullerton, Engineer and Ironfounder, next took ownership and occupation of Fordbank, sometime prior to 1891. He was born in Paisley, son of Alexander Fullerton, a partner in the Paisley shipbuilding company of Fullerton, Hodgart and Barclay. He continued with the company after his father retired in 1885.

Alexander was unmarried, as were his four sisters who shared the house with him. When he died in May 1911, Fordbank House was again up for sale.

1913, September 11th, Major Edward Howard Thornbrough Parsons, Chief Constable in the Metropolitan Police (Retired) married Marion Marjorie Winifred Glen Glen-Coats, only daughter of Sir Thomas Glen-Coats of Ferguslie Park, and took up residence in their marital home, Fordbank House.

Mrs Parsons was an enthusiastic supporter of the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire Hunt. She bred horses, hunters, with great success, and presumably was instrumental in erecting the stables to the rear of the house which are still in use today under the ownership of the Fordbank Livery and Equi Centre.

In November 1931 a new company was formed, The Crossford Estates Co. Fordbank, Milliken Park: "A private unlimited co. 'to aquire, manage & develop the landed Estates of Fordbank, Crossford/Corseford etc, in Renfrewshire etc.' Capital, £20,000 in £1-00 shares. Mr & Mrs Parsons & Miss Irene Philip, all of Fordbank, Milliken Park, Renfrewshire." The Parsons also had the estate of Lephenstrath at Southend, Kintyre,

With the coming of war in 1939, Fordbank was made available to the Public Health Dept. of Renfrewshire County Council, and used as an annex to the Thornhill Maternity Hospital. Strangely, it was known as the Gryffe Hospital, Kilbarchan.

Major Parsons died in August 1946, his wife Marion about 1948. The Property was once again on the market. The Stables were sold by October, the rest of the estate was acquired by the Welfare Services Committee in November 1948.

It was purchased at a cost of £4,000, including 7 acres and a lodge house, also the lease of the gardeners cottage at £35 per annum. Total cost estimated at £15,000 for furniture and fittings. The work was undertaken by J.Y.Keanie Ltd. of Johnstone.

It was officially opened on 19th May 1950 as an old peoples residential home with accommodation for 30 occupants, the first of whom were expected to move in the following week. It was the first home of its kind to be completed in Renfrewshire.

The opening ceremony was attended by 27 local dignitaries including Mr Norman Keanie, 27 other invitations were declined. The opening was performed by Baillie P. R. Jacobs, chairman of the Councils Welfare Services Committee. Afternoon tea was provided by Mr Jas. R McKay, The Clock Café, Thornhill.

Fordbank House continued as a home for old folk for 27 years. In September 1977 the authorities in the Social Work Dept. decided to transfer the residents to Stewart House, a purpose built home in Renfrew.

This caused outrage to many Johnstone residents, particularly as Fordbank was then to provide accommodation for 38 homeless men when it re-opened in January 1979

The Building was declared surplus to requirements by the Councils Social Works Dept. in May 1993, the residents were re-located and by September Fordbank House was closed.

In December1994 Strathclyde Region were expecting to have sold Fordbank House to a businesswoman, Mrs Maria Sutcliffe, for around £200,000 by the turn of the year.
It was understood that Mrs Sutcliffe was acting as an individual buyer and not as part of a bigger company.

The house was eventually demolished, the site cleared and is now a Private Housing Estate.

Download as PDF for printing


The Red House of Milliken Park -- 50 years of history
50 years in the life of a house, its owners and occupants, a brief history.

By Bill Speirs

In 1895 George Ludovic Houstoun granted a feu charter to Alexander Balfour McKechnie, then resident at Cochranfield, of 3 Roods 17 Poles of ground in the vicinity of the site of Cochran Castle. On this land Alexander McKechnie built his Red House. The site is located on the east side of Auchengreoch Avenue about 330 yards south east of the crossroads known locally as “Murphy`s Toll, on the B787 Beith Road, at the junction with the old Howwood Road.

The architect chosen to design the house was Charles Davidson. Originally from Forfar he arrived in Paisley in 1875 to work on the National Bank and the Bank of Scotland buildings at 2 St. Mirren Street. He remained in Paisley and about 1880 started his own practice, and was responsible for the design of the Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary and the Paisley Daily Express buildings to name but a few examples of his works

The building is constructed in the “Arts and Crafts” style which was much in vogue in that period. The ideal was to use local materials and the skills of a previous age to construct buildings of simplicity and move away from the Classical and Gothic styles with their excessive ornamental features. Arches were to be curved instead of peaked, many of the buildings were of modest scale and in styles more like the half-timbered cottages and manor houses of Tudor and Elizabethan England.

The Red House was built with red brick, not readily available locally, but probably made by Gibb & Sons, at Auchinlee, Cleland, Lanarkshire. These bricks were used in the building of a length of wall half a mile further south down Auchengreoch Road.

The 1901 census records the house having a total of 11 rooms. Alterations, possibly an extension to the rear of the house, were carried out between April 1908 and April 1909 under the supervision of Honeyman, Keppie & McIntosh, at a cost of £493-10-5.
Perhaps with the death of his mother in 1907 McKechnie may have fallen heir to a substantial inheritance, and used some of it to fund the improvements to his house.
A description of the house is given later when it was advertised for sale in 1940. It is not known if Charles Rennie McIntosh had any involvement in any of the works.

Also commissioned at the time of the building works was an order for 12 dining room chairs. This would suggest that McKechnie was intent on entertaining guests on a larger scale than previously deemed sufficient.

The Red House was not only a place for social gathering, on at least one occasion a marriage took place within its walls. On the 13th March 1917 Lieutenant Stanley Evlyn Lewis of the Royal Flying Corps married Elizabeth Riddell. He was the youngest son of Colonel John Lewis C.M.G. Union Defence Force, South Africa, she was a daughter of Dr John Riddell of Ayr. The ceremony was performed by Robert McKenzie, Minister of Kilbarchan, and J. Johnstone Wright, Service Chaplain, India.

At the same time Alexander McKechnie commissioned a brass memorial plaque in memory of his grandfather Robert McKechnie, a physician in Paisley, and his wife, mother, and sister. The plaque is mounted in the North Transept of Paisley Abbey.

As a point of interest, the Ordinance Survey Map revision of 1895 shows a symbol on the house indicating a position of antiquity. Was this deemed to be the site of the old Cochrane Castle as opposed to the Lairds Tower Monument site on the adjacent land?

Alexander McKechnie was the son of Dr William McKechnie, M.D. who practiced for many years in Paisley and within the County. His mother, Helen Landale Balfour was a cousin of Lord Kinross. He was born in Paisley, in October 1860. Later the family lived at Thorndean, Elderslie, a large house adjacent to Thornhill House and Elderslie Church.

Marriage came in October 1888 when Alexander married Helen Fullerton, daughter of John Fullerton, of the well-known Paisley Shipbuilders, their son William Gordon McKechnie was born in 1891, they may have been living at Cochranefield House, on the Beith Road,

Although his father and grandfather were both prominent in the medical profession Alexander had decided on a career in business. After an extensive education culminating at St. Andrews University, he trained in accountancy. He early decided that his vocation was elsewhere and studied at the Glasgow School of Art. He was regarded as a most distinguished student, proficient in both oil and water colours. His later works were almost entirely in watercolours, most notable for the fine drawing and delicate colouring.

He favoured landscapes of bright colours and particularly scenes from the countries of North Africa, such as Egypt, Tangiers and Algeria. His picture “Hall of the Pillars of Karnak” is especially memorable.

A Shipping Passenger List of March 1927 lists Alexander, artist, and Helen McKechnie returning to the United Kingdom from Tangier. Travelling with them was Jessie Keppie, artist. She was the youngest sister of John Keppie, a junior partner in the architectural firm of Honeyman, Keppie and McIntosh, and had been briefly engaged to Charles Rennie McIntosh. She was distraught when he broke off the engagement and never married. Presumably she was acquainted with the Red House.

He was a member of the Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Water Colours, the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, an artist member of the Paisley Art Institute, also for a period president of the Glasgow Art Club.

He died in 1930 and was laid to rest in Woodside Cemetery. After his widow Helen died in 1935 the Red House was put up for sale.

The next occupant was George Nicholson.

He was born in Consett, Co. Durham, in 1905, originally a Newcastle bus fleet owner, he took possession of The Red House in May 1936.

He had founded Northern Airways at Cramlington Airfield, a few miles to the north of Newcastle, on 1st July 1934, to provide a daily service from Newcastle to Carlisle and the Isle of Man. It was not viable and operated only till the end of October 1934.

In November 1934 the company had been changed to Northern and Scottish Airways, and was now based at Renfrew. On December 1935 the new company started twice weekly flights from Renfrew to Glenbrittle in Skye, using De Havilland DH 84 Dragon Rapide aircraft. The service was eventually expanded to include routes to Islay, Tiree, North and South Uist, and Barra. In 1936 it pioneered the use of the beach on Barra as a landing strip, where flight times were subject to the times of the tides.

The De Havilland Dragon Rapide was a twin engined six seater biplane, which made its first flight in 1934. They continued to grace the skies over Scotland into the 1950s.

In 1937 on the amalgamation with Scottish Airways Ltd. of Inverness, the new company became known as Scottish Airways.

With the coming of War in 1939, all internal air services were suspended, thus depriving George Nicholson of his livelihood. The Red House was once again put up for sale.

The Red House was advertised in the Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette on 9th March, 1940, and gives a full description of the house……..

FOR SALE, privately, that attractive Residence, known as The Red House,
Adjoining Cochrane Castle Golf Course

Accommodation----3 Public Rooms, 5 Bedrooms, 2 Maids Rooms, 3 Bathrooms, Kitchen, etc. Electric Light and Power. Electric Refrigerator, Central Heating, 2 Garages. Ground extends to approximately 2 ½ acres. Entry at Whitsunday or earlier, as may be arranged.


With the end of World War 2 in 1945, and the election of a Labour government with a programme of nationalisation, Scottish Airways was incorporated into British European Airways in December of 1946

George Nicholson held the position of Scottish Divisional Manager of B.E.A. till July 1947 when he was either dismissed or resigned from the Corporation.

Whatever the reason for his departure he was recognised as a pioneer of aviation in Scotland and was responsible for much of the expansion and advancement of its air services.

He was not long idle. By September 1847, at the Annual General Meeting of Vaux and Associated Breweries Ltd. in Sunderland he was proposed and elected a director.

When exploring the possibilities of business expansion into South Africa for the company in December 1950, he died suddenly in Johannesburg at the age of 45.

The next owner and occupier of the Red House was Charles H Johnson, managing director of Dent & Co. & Johnson Ltd, Linwood.

The son of a naval architect from Dumbarton, he was firstly employed there with Messrs. Wm. Denny & Bros., Ltd. Here he developed and patented the Denny-Johnson torsion meter, a device for measuring the horsepower of marine turbines.

Another invention to his credit was a watertight loud-speaker telephone which was taken up by Messers. Kelvin & Jas. White Ltd.,with whom he was later employed for some years as assistant works manager.

In 1912 he was involved in the takeover of the navigational instrument part of the London based company of Messrs. E. Dent & Co. Ltd., (makers of “Big Ben”) and the formation of Dent & Co. & Johnson, Ltd. Linwood.

Dent and Co., were at the time involved in the early stages of development of navigational compasses for aircraft. Mr Johnson was the source of many ideas throughout the development of these instruments.

He had an interest in radio broadcasting, his firm produced a radio receiver and loudspeaker known as “The Linwood” which was believed to be the only radio produced in Scotland at that time.

Charles Henry Johnson died of a heart attack while on holiday in Thurso, in August 1944. His widow eventually retired to Aberfeldy, where she died in 1969 at the age of 79.

Sometime later, certainly during the 1980s, the Red House became “The Red House Inn,” a public house.

The Red House is currently in use as a care home providing high quality residential care for a maximum of five children aged 12 to 19 years old who may have a learning difficulty or mental health problems.

Download as PDF for printing


April 2016


Munitions Factory Johnstone's Contribution to the WWI Effort
Munitions Factory Johnstone's Contribution to the WWI Effort
With this article we introduce a new feature of the website. This summary of a photo essay by Stewart Michie in the Gallery (link below) is accompanied by images of the WWW factory that put Johnstone solidly into the war effort.)

Georgetown Munitions Factory opened in September, 1915, at the start of the First World War, just over three miles east of Houston in what was then predominantly a rural community with plans to fill explosive shells for use on the battlefields of Belgium, France and the Middle East.

Delays could cost lives so it was imperative that the men who manned the artillery big guns had a ready supply of ammunition at their disposal to protect themselves and the infantry units.

A 2350 square foot town hall was erected, serving as a social center, church, Sunday school, lecture hall and more. The hall could seat 300 people. The building was an invaluable resource, especially in winter when the dark nights limited the range of human activities at a high-security site like Georgetown where vigilance could never be relaxed for safety and military reasons.

Women played vital roles in the Georgetown Filling Factory. Johnstone and Paisley were among the main recruiting areas for the workforce. Hygiene, medical, washing and other public facilities were introduced that may have exceeded the standards of the time. Female workers also had to look after families when they returned home at the end of the working day or night.

The ability with which the women here and elsewhere in Britain rose to the challenge so superbly and successfully physically and mentally was one of the main reasons why they were given the vote not long after the end of the First World War following a lengthy campaign for female enfranchisement.

Agnes Borthwick (1889-1949), a graduate of the University, became a works manager at the vast munitions factory, National Filling Factory No 4, at Georgetown. According to Barbara McLaren, writing in Women at War (1917), "no woman's work... more directly furthered the prosecution of the war." In 1915, she volunteered for training at Woolwich, on the theory and practice of shell and cartridge filling. In January 1916 she was sent as a forewoman to the filling factory which was then under construction at Georgetown. She was promoted to assistant works manager in the spring and to BL Works Manager in June 1916, and was appointed Works Manager of Number 1 Factory in July. She was then transferred to the larger No 2 Factory in April 1917 as joint manager with a male official, and in September became sole manager there. The number of women employed at Georgetown rose to as many as 14,000 before the end of the war, and Borthwick was in charge of more than half that number.

Much of the weaponry built at Georgetown was designed in the chemical and scientific laboratory at the plant. The lab was shrouded in secrecy to safeguard its highly-sensitive work.

Although around 35,000 people worked here during the three years of the filling station’s existence, only about a dozen were killed. This was a remarkably low figure at a time when military science was in its infancy and so much work had to be done on a trial and error basis.

Four canteens, each fully equipped with tables, chairs and cutlery, provided food for 9000 hungry workers simultaneously. Around 70,000 meals were served every week.

Many workers at Georgetown Filling Station lived in purpose-built wooden cottages around the factory. Some, known as Mosside Cottages, were located just off the Houston Road continued in existence until well into the 1970s, more than 50 years following the closure of the filling factory.

Photo Essay


March 2016


January 2016


December 2015


November 2015


October 2015


September 2015


The Coats Family Talk by Allan Driver
On September 15 we were treated to a great talk by Allan on the history of the Coats Family and the background to the building of the Coats Memorial Baptist Church in Paisley.

Alan not only covered the creation of the Coats Cotton mills in Paisley but gave us an insight into the wealth that was created by the Coats family.

Nowadays the small congregation of around 40 at the Church. struggle to keep it going. The future does not look bright with costs escalating and little in the way of income. The fund that was so generously created by the Coats Family to keep it going is fast disappearing. There must be some way to preserve what must be one of the finest church buildings in Scotland.

Photograph Courtesy Marilyn Connor.

August 2015


July 2015


Happy 175th Birthday Johnstone Station
On 21st July 1840, Johnstone Station was opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. The station is rare in that it is just about the oldest station (1840)in Scotland that has its original Booking Office still incorporated within the handsome sandstone buildings. (Item submitted by Craig Crawford of Howwood.)

Happy 175th Birthday to Johnstone Station

On the 21st July 1840, Johnstone station was opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

The station is rare in that is just about the oldest station (1840) in Scotland that has its Booking Office still incorporated within its handsome Sandstone buildings.

The Gales of 1968 seriously damaged the station canopies which provided passengers with a means of boarding their trains without getting wet. The railway management decided to have the canopies removed all together, rather than have them repaired. So now you have to dash from the Booking Hall or the little shelter.

There were two signal boxes. No 1 at the North end controlled a junction for the lines to Johnstone Gas Works and Greenock via Kilmacolm. No 2 at the South end controlled the goods yard and associated sidings.

The goods yard handled all sorts of traffic until rationalised in 1963 for a new lease of life to deal with the motor car traffic from the newly built Rootes Group Car Plant at Linwood. The Car Trains were initially formed of flat wagons which were converted from former carriages. More modern trains were introduced formed of double decked wagons. The trains were a quarter of a mile long and signalling alterations were necessary to enable the departing trains to be coupled up on the main line towards Elderslie. After the car traffic stopped with the closure of the Car Plant, there was a brief use of the sidings for a nightly departure of a train to Wisbech carrying Dog Food from the now Closed Spillers factory at Barrhead. On complete closure of the yard, some ground was given over to allow the building of the new Thorn School and the rest to form an enlarged car park the capacity of which is once again being increased.

With the withdrawal of Steam, Diesel trains started running in 1959, in turn to be replaced by electric trains in 1986. Today, the main passenger traffic, stopping at Johnstone, is between Ayr, Prestwick Airport and Glasgow Central Station. Some trains now continue via Glasgow Central Station to Edinburgh.

Johnstone was called Johnstone High for a time, to avoid confusion with Johnstone North Station. This was located in Napier Street near the present History Museum at Morrisons. Johnstone North started life as a terminal station opened in 1885. The line and the Station were rebuilt to a higher level when it became a through station on the Lochwinnoch Loop Line which opened in 1905. Johnstone North Station closed in 1955 and the Loop Line to passengers in 1966 when the Johnstone High Station reverted to its previous title of just Johnstone Station.

June 2015


Seeking Johnstonians living Abroad
We have recently been delighted to receive enquiries from Johnstonians now living abroad and we are keen to make contact with others who may have a tale to tell or memories to share about their time in Johnstone. Articles and old photographs of the area that you would be willing to share on our web site would be gratefully received.

Contact us here


May 2015


Opening of New Town Hall

Yesterday we had the official opening of the New Johnstone Town Hall. We put up a Museum display stand with photographs of Old Johnstone, the Textile Industry and Engineering. We had loads of visitors all keen to share their memories about the town with us. We were also able to sell a number of our Old Johnstone picture books, our Discover Johnstone little history books and our 1895 Maps of Johnstone which we usually have on sale at the Museum. We had visits from our new MP and a number of our Local Politicians all keen to learn more about their Town. We were also delighted to welcome our Provost Anne Hall, seen in one of our photographs. We also had the pleasure of welcoming some street theatre players that we have named the Laird of Johnstone George Houston, his wife Mary and their son Ludovic. They were proud of what their town had achieved since its inception in 1782 and were obviously "well chuffed" with their New Town Hall.

April 2015


March 2015


February 2015


December 2014

Home • Calendar • Gallery • Members • Contact • JHS Review •  • Volunteer!